Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Day 1, Ash Wednesday, off to a good start

I started the day with two capsules of "probiotics".
Then my morning smoothie (made with vanilla yogurt, I plan to use plain from now on, and how do you spell smoothie? Smoothy?). About 1pm I got hungry while in the car so I had a hand full of dried apples.
Lunch was a glass of Gazpacho (recipe below) and a small portion of hummus served on snow peas (the flat ones, great vehicle for stuff like that).

The last couple of days I have not been having caffeine in the morning, but between 1 and 3pm I was getting so overwhelmingly sleepy I had to get some coffee then (that's the time of day when your liver takes a break). Today I did NOT feel sleepy, hurrah! But I was crabby, for no apparent reason, because I wasn't even craving anything!

I decided to take it easy on myself, and those around me, by having some white wine (NOT cheating!! It's not cooked!). I ended up having a glass and a half, along with a few raw walnuts and dried peaches. That was before 6pm, it is now 10:45 and I am still full!

I had a little bit of reflux, due probably to the tomato in the soup, but nothing major (better than the last few days).
At some point in the evening I wanted something sweet so I had about a teaspoon of honey* and that took care of it. I have been drinking a lot of water and took an Iron supplement tonight.

I am very happy with how things are going, however, I am starting to get a bit obsessed with figuring out the nutritional value in everything I eat... Hmm. I will start doing this but will watch the tendency to really obsess. My addictive personality would probably love to replace eating non stop with figuring out nutritional content non stop.
Well, so far I have figured out that my smoothy had (roughly):
415 calories
7.5gr fat (12.5%)
9.3gr protein (18%)
81gr carbs (25.5%)
And 13gr fiber (52%!!)

I will try to figure out the hummus tomorrow.

Here is the Gazpacho recipe (my sister Lil's):
1 Kg (2.2lbs) tomatoes (for 1 liter of juice)
1 medium red pepper
Put together in blender and then put through a strainer (I made it in the juicer to save some time, but I miss the thickness you get when you do it the right way.
Then put one large cucumber with about 4 garlic cloves in the blender and also through a strainer as you add it to the tomato juice.
Add about a half cup of olive oil (how much garlic and olive oil are a matter of preference)
and some ice cold water at serving time. Since mine was not very thick I hardly added any water. Normally you would also add the inside of a small loaf of white bread (no crust), I NEVER follow this step, for me it ruins the soup.

Enjoy and have a great day/night!
Till tomorrow!

*Honey: This particular bit of honey had completely crystallized, I just put it back in the cupboard and it went back to normal on its own! What's up with that? Does it have to do with the moon phase or something?

1 comment:

  1. yeah!! good for you, gazpacho was also part of my lunch yesterday!

    ReplyDelete